Friday, April 17, 2009

Knight Voted Best Professor in Student Newspaper Poll

WIU Journalism Professor Bill Knight has been voted Best Professor in the Western Courier's 2009 Best of Macomb reader survey.

According to the Courier's story:

Bill Knight spent over 16 years as a full-time working journalist before returning to his Alma mater to teach. Among his many experiences, he has functioned as a beat reporter, entertainment critic, columnist, editor at several weeklies and dailies in cities such as Washington D.C., San Diego and Peoria.

Even as a tenured professor, Knight continues to contribute work to various publications and commentary to a local radio station. Over the last decade, Knight has also been involved in the publication of several books as both an author and editor.


"Obviously I'm flattered, because I enjoy students, but at the same time I'm humbled, because I know a lot of excellent teachers at Western," Knight said.

Knight tried to pinpoint just what students might see in his teaching strategy that appeals to them.

"In the classroom, I try to be accessible and flexible," Knight said. "I also try to be demanding, but maybe protective, too, as students prepare for what's to come and for what I like to call the joy of life-long learning."


Congratulations, Bill.